Well guys, our living room is our one and only finished room. Finished for now, at least. You may have seen the before/after photos of our living room on our home tour page last weekend, but in case you didn’t, here’s how it went down.
We started with this…
Made some progress…
And ended up with this.
As for the details, here’s what we did:
1. Disguised a door as a window: One of our two front doors opens into the left side of the living room – right in back of one of our couches. So, the door went undercover.
2. Added floating shelves, trinkets, and paint to the wall next to the fireplace. We chose to paint the wall a light grey color to contrast the white shelves, and some of the white items on them. It adds a nice little pop without being too much.
3. Embraced the remaining white walls, and filled empty space with a big picture.
4. Refreshed the fireplace tile. We really didn’t like the old red tile that was at the base of the fireplace, so we took it out and replaced it with a combo of white/grey mosaic and marble tile.
5. Borrowed (stole?) some awesome antique crates from my sister.
6. Painted the bottom of the fireplace white. Here’s the deal with the fireplace. The bottom part was redone by the previous owner in a different color brick than the top. We didn’t like the mismatch (ironically), so we decided to paint it white. We started with the bottom, stepped back, and were like this hmm… looks kind of interesting. We still haven’t decided whether or not to paint the top, or leave it exposed. What do you think? Does it look silly, or artsy/unique?
7. Bought lots of new stuff. We were moving from NY, so we didn’t have much to work with as it was. We bought the basics before we moved in, and kind of pieced together the rest as time went on.
Sofas – Crate & Barrel “Lounge” Sofas in Linen (one is 83″ and one is 93″). The best part about these sofas is that we got them super discounted at the Crate & Barrel Outlet in NJ (best place ever!) These couches should have cost us $3300, but instead we got them both for $1200. They are seriously amazing.
Two tone club chair – Crate & Barrel Outlet (CB2) – $200
Ottoman – Frontgate Outlet Chesterfield Tufted Ottoman in Natural – $199 (Since we ordered it from the outlet instead of the catalog, they gave us 10% off. Score!)
Rug – Overstock.com Handmade Soho Chrono Grey/ Ivory New Zealand Wool Rug – $300
White Pillows – Crate & Barrel Outlet – $15 each
Curtains – Target Farrah Fretwork Curtains (Tip: We cut each curtain in half because our windows are narrow, so we really only purchased 1 panel for each window instead of 2)
Floating shelves next to the fireplace – Ikea LACK Shelves – $15 each
Shelf Accessories – Home Goods / West Elm / Handmade
Dog Bed – Home Goods
Side tables – From family
Corner boat shelf – Gift from my rowing days
Big B&W picture – Ikea
That’s it! Do you like the way it turned out?